BOSTON – Junior Domenick Fensore scored a goal and an assist, but Boston University's No. 12/15 men's hockey team was defeated by Sacred Heart, 3-2, on Friday night at Agganis Arena.
BU (1-2-0) held a 2-1 lead after 40 minutes thanks to goals from Fensore and junior Robert Mastrosimone but Sacred Heart (1-2-0) scored at 12: 59 of the third before finding the back of the net with 13.9 seconds remaining in regulation time to escape with the victory.
Juniors Ethan Phillips and Wilmer Skoog assisted in Fensore's power coup while the second year Dylan Peterson had the main assistant in Mastrosimone's second goal of the bell. Sophomore Drew Commesso made 31 saves for the Terriers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Terriers were outstanding on penalties in the first period, as they canceled three penalties, including a five-minute major in the middle of the frame, to maintain the goalless play after 20 minutes.
- Fensore opened the scoring at 4:30 in the second verse with 32 seconds remaining in the Terriers' first power game of the night. Skoog picked up the puck behind the net and sent it to Fensore at the center point, where he threw a top shelf of the puck past Justin Robbins (23 saves).
- The Pioneers tied the game just 1:15 later, but Mastrosimone regained the Terriers' lead with 55.3 seconds remaining in the frame. On the receiving end of a pass extended through Peterson's neutral zone, Mastrosimone skidded into the offensive zone, outflanking a defender and, from an odd angle, slipped a shot through Robbins' pads to the bottom of the network.
- The Pioneers tied the score when Austin Magera redirected a shot from the top of the zone.
- Mastrosimone came close to giving the Terriers their third game lead late in the third period, but Robbins was right to deny the junior closely.
- The final goal of the game came with 13.9 seconds remaining in regulation time when Ryan Steele struck with a rebound after Commesso stopped the initial detour attempt.
- Mastrosimone leads the Terriers with two goals, while Fensore leads the team with three points (1g, 2nd) in three games.
- BU was 5 of 5 on Friday's penalty to stay perfect for the season.
- The Terriers have killed all 12 power plays they have faced this year.
- BU was 1 of 2 with the man advantage.
- Freshman Braden Doyle made his college debut.
- BU and Sacred Heart will conclude this weekend's series on Saturday night at Agganis Arena.
- Puck's launch is scheduled for 7 p.m.
- Fans can purchase tickets by by clicking here .