The NCAA has formally opened an investigation into the handling of accusations by Michigan State University against Larry Nassar, the former doctor of the team who has been accused of sexually abusing more than 140 women, The New York Times reported Tuesday.
The NCAA confirmed the news in a statement on Tuesday night.
"The NCAA has sent a letter of request to Michigan State University regarding possible violations of the NCAA rules related to the attacks that Larry Nassar perpetrated against girls and young women, including some student athletes in the state of Michigan," said the group. . "We will not have any more comments at this time."
Jason Cody, spokesman for Michigan State University, said the school's athletic department had received the letter and was reviewing it.
More than a hundred women have read the victims' impact statements during the weeklong Nassar sentencing hearing, which will conclude this week. The doctor pleaded guilty to 10 counts of sexual misconduct in the first degree and faces a minimum of 25 years in prison. He was already sentenced to 60 years in prison in December for child pornography.
Many of the women say they told parents, coaches and coaches at Michigan State University about Nassar's abuse, but that the allegations were either overlooked or hidden.
Former Michigan State University gymnast, Kathie Klages, retired last February when the accusations against Nassar began to pile up. She has been accused of covering up the allegations, according to The Times.
Jessica Smith, who said Nassar abused her for months when she was 17, told Alanna Vagianos of HuffPost that many of those involved have not faced the appropriate punishment for passing on the complaints.
"I'm sick of MSU trying to look good instead of being good," Smith said earlier this month