EUGENE, Ore. – It was a Senior Citizen's Day to remember for the No. 46 Oregon women's tennis team. After honoring their four seniors before the game, the Ducks defeated Stanford for the first time in the show's history with a thrilling 4-3 victory over the 25th Cardinal.
The game was reduced to Uxia Martinez Moral at No. 4, and she delivered with a valiant effort in a three-set victory after one of the majors, Julia Eshet tied the match three with a win at No. 5.
"You always want to have a great Seniors Day and a great senior send-off when it's your last home game," said head coach Courtney Nagle . "Our message throughout the week was 'Let's give our seniors a good day.' You couldn't have written it better for us to get the doubles point, for Julia to get the third point and then Uxia would recover like she did today. "
No. 46 Oregon 4, No. 25 Stanford 3
1. Rifanty Kahfiani / Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) vs. Michaela Gordon / Niluka Madurawe (STAN), 5-3 (uf)
2. Lillian Mold / Janice Tjen (ORE) def. Emily Arbuthnott / Angelica Blake (STAN), 6-2
3. Allison Mulville / Julia Eshet (ORE) def. Sara Choy / Emma Higuchi (STAN), 6-0
Finishing order: 3, 2
1. # 121 Janice Tjen (ORE) def. # 48 Michaela Gordon (STAN), 7-5, 6-3
2. Emily Arbuthnott (STAN) def. Molde Lillian (ORE), 6 -1, 6-3
3. Angelica Blake (STAN) def. Rifanty Kahfiani (ORE), 6-2, 6-2
4. Uxia Mart inez Moral (ORE) def. Sara Choy (STAN), 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
5. Julia Eshet (ORE) def. Niluka Madurawe (STAN), 7-5, 7-6 (6)
6. Janice Shin (STAN) def. Myah Petchey (ORE), 6-1, 6-1
Finish order: 2, 6, 3, 1, 5, 4
Next: Oregon closes the regular season on the road against Washington and Washington State, this Friday (1:30 pm) and Sunday (11 am).