A fire was accidentally started in a science block at the University of St Andrews, Police have confirmed.
More than 30 firefighters battled the fire in the biomedical building, which is considered the "world-class center of excellence" for medical research.
Crews were alerted of the suspected hazardous materials fire shortly before 5:00 pm on Sunday.
The fire service said the four-story building was evacuated and there were no victims.
Shortly before 23:00, they said the fire had died down.
Scotland confirmed on Monday afternoon that the fire was accidentally started.
A spokesperson for the force said: "Fortunately, no one was hurt and the students, staff and local people are thanked for their cooperation with the emergency services.
" No additional police action is required and the subject has been referred to the university. "
At its height, eight fire engines, including a tall apparatus, were involved in the operation.
One concern was about the hazardous chemicals stored in a building used for scientific research.
However, The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said its crews were "well equipped to deal with that eventuality".
The university described the fire in the building at North Haugh as "serious".
The center is considered by university leaders as a "center of world-class excellence" for research in areas such as antibiotic resistance and infectious diseases.
It is feared that part of that critical investigation was lost in the fire.
A spokesman for the university said: "This could be devastating for people's work and we will do whatever it takes." You can preserve those materials and allow the investigation to continue. "
The building, which was built in the 1990s, is shared by the colleges of chemistry and biology of the university.
Approximately 100 employees and graduate students work in their laboratories, where research is carried out with a medical approach in organic and synthetic chemistry, virology and microbiology.