Sunday, January 3/2 pm CT / Norman / Lloyd Noble Center
NORMAN – The Oklahoma girls' basketball team will host West Virginia on Sunday, January 3 at 2 p.m. inside the Lloyd Noble Center. The game, originally scheduled for January 16, was moved to Sunday in accordance with the Big 12 Conference women's COVID-19 protocol and scheduling guidelines affecting league teams.
ON THE AIR
Sunday's game will be available for streaming on soonersports.tv with Jessica Coody and Dan Hughes on the call.
The contest will air on Sooner Radio Network (KOKC 1420 AM in Oklahoma City; KREF 99.3 FM / 1400 AM in Norman; TuneIn radio App) with Brian Brinkley calling into action.
FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- OU resumes Big 12 conference play and begins Sunday 2021 when West Virginia comes to town. The OU-WVU showdown was originally set for January 16, but was brought forward due to COVID-19 scheduling changes around the Big 12 conference. Oklahoma leads the all-time series 10-8 and has an advantage. from 6-2 on Norman.
- Nevaeh Tot shone in the last OU outing as he lost 12 points to go with a career-high 11 assists. Her performance marked the first time a Sooner recorded a double-double with points and assists since Morgan Hook in 2013. Additionally, Tot's 11 assists tied the most by a Big 12 player in a single game in 2020-21 and the fourth- most in a Division I women's basketball game this season.
- Tot (12 points, 11 assists) and Skylar Vann (14 points, 10 rebounds) of OU recorded double-doubles against UAPB, marking the first time that two freshmen have done it in a match Ashley Paris and Courtney Paris against Missouri at the Big 12 Championships in 2006. The Paris twins accomplished the feat five times during the 2005-06 season.
- Taylor Robertson had the best shooting night of the season against UAPB, hitting seven 3s (out of 15 for OU) in the contest. Robertson's seven triples represent the most in a single game by a Big 12 player this season and the fourth most in a Division I women's basketball in 2020-21.
- As a team, Oklahoma is shooting 46.1% (185 of 401) from the court this season to rank second in field goal percentage among the 12 major teams. The Sooners also rank second at 3FG% at 39.1% (52 out of 133). Three players average double-digit points: Madi Williams (20.3), Gabby Gregory (17.3), and Taylor Robertson (14.7). They are closely followed by freshmen Tot (9.1) and Vann (9.0).
OU leads the all-time series with West Virginia 10-8 with a 6-2 lead at Norman. Oklahoma is on a three-game winning streak against the
Mountaineers heading into Sunday's matchup and is 6-4 in last 10 meetings with WVU.
The Sooners completed a last-season sweep of West Virginia last season for the first time in show history. OU surprised then-No. 17 WVU with a dominant 73-49 win at Morgantown on January 15, 2020 before taking down with Mountaineers 68-58 at Norman on February 5, 2020.
GAME OVERVIEW SEVEN: OU 107, UAPB 64
Tuesday's 107-64 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff marked the first time since 2017 that the Sooners scored 100 or more points in a game and they did it inside the Lloyd Noble Center. OU reached the century mark on a tray from Gabby Gregory at 3:14 in the fourth quarter.
It also marked the first time since December 17, 2019 against Drake that five players scored in double figures as Taylor Robertson and Gregory had 23 each; Madi Williams was 19; Skylar Vann scored 14; and Nevaeh Tot ended with 11.
Both Tot and Vann recorded double-doubles against the Golden Lions. Vann scored 14 points for a new career high and had 10 rebounds, also the best of his career. Tot and Vann's double-doubles marked the first time that two freshmen accomplished the feat in the same game since Ashley Paris and Courtney Paris against Missouri at the Big 12 Championships in 2006
The Sooners shot 53.8% for the game and 46.9% beyond the arc when OU hit 15 3-pointers in the contest. Seven of them came from Robertson.
Robertson's seven triples represent the most in a single game for a Big 12 player this season and the fourth most in a Division I women's basketball in 2020-21.
Oklahoma scored 10 triples in the first half to equal the program's record for triples in a half that has stood since February 25, 1998 against Kansas.
The Sooners took a 61-30 lead at the space locker, good for their biggest halftime lead of the season.
OU kept the momentum going in the third quarter, scoring 36 points in that span. The Sooners' 36 points were only one short of equaling the program's record for most points in a quarter set last season against the state of Missouri on November 14, 2019.
Tot broke his previous career record of seven assists with 11 against UAPB (December 29). Her 11 dimes against UAPB tied the most with a Big 12 player in a single game in 2020-21 and the fourth most in a Division I women's basketball game this season.
Tot's 12 points, 11 assists against UAPB also marked the first time a Sooner posted a double-double with points and assists since Morgan Hook in 2013.
If Tot continues to average 6.0 assists or more in OU's remaining 16 games this season, he will certainly earn a spot in the top five on OU's first-year assists list (the minimum total assists Tot needs to make the roster. is 68 to tie with Shaina Pellington in 2017-18). The attendance record for freshmen is held by Sooner's great Stacey Dales, who registered 150 during the 1998-99 season.
FOLLOW IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF LEGENDS
OU Freshmen Nevaeh Tot (12 points, 11 assists) and Skylar Vann (14 points, 10 rebounds) both recorded doubles-doubles against UAPB (December 29).
Tot and Vann's double-doubles marked the first time two freshmen did it in a game since Ashley Paris and Courtney Paris against Missouri on March 9, 2006.
Two freshmen have recorded double-doubles in the same game only six times including Tot and Vann on December 29. The Paris twins accomplished the feat five times during the 2005-06 season and Teresa Ray and Joyce Parker did it once in 1977-78.
Taylor "T-Rob" Robertson is the nation's active professional leader in field goals of 3 points per game (3.88) and triples per game with a clip of .441 (260 of 589). She also ranks fourth in total triples with 260 in her career
The junior has reached 24 triples this season, with seven best against the UAPB (December 29). Robertson is averaging 3.43 per game to lead the Big 12 conference and is shooting .429 (24 of 56) from deep.
Robertson's seven 3-pointers against UAPB (Dec. 29) represent the most in a single game by a Big 12 player this season and the fourth most in a Division I women's basketball in 2020-21.
The McPherson, Kansas star has hit at least one triple in the last 43 games of his career, since February 10, 2019 during his freshman season.
Last season, Robertson smashed OU's previous single – Season 3s Record of 115 set by Aaryn Ellenberg in 2012-13 when he sold out 131 3s. Robertson is now chasing Ellenberg's career record of 376 3-pointers.
OU takes its first road trip in five games as the Sooners head to Texas Tech on January 6. The game will start at 6 p.m. inside the United Supermarkets Arena.